4/26/15

Review: Crawl - I: Serpents (Bloodsoaked 2015 MC)

 For some reason, my interest for Swedish death metal has slightly faded the last few years. Although both Vanhelgd and Miasmal delivered great releases last year, former favorites like Tribulation and Morbus Chron has stepped away from their roots (the aforementioned remains one of my current favorite bands though, even if they don't sound like they once did) and other bands aren't being as active as they used to. My own laziness is probably to blame as well, I haven't even listened to the latest offerings from Bombs Of Hades and Usurpress yet. Fuck, time to regain vision.

Anyway, the sound of the debut demo of Crawl from Kalmar definitely makes you feel excited about this whole genre again. The influences of good old Swedish death metal are definitely there, but they still manages to avoid sounding generic and boring. The vocal performance is absolutely killer, reminds me of Angelcorpse's Pete Helmkamp. It also alternates from deep grunts to more high screams sometimes, which makes you think of old Carcass.


Musically there isn't much to complain about, all songs are well written and captivating enough for you to not loose interest while listening. I do think there's room for development towards the more intense and violent direction though, and the production could have been a bit more rotten. But it's an enjoyable 3 track-tape, I'll definitely keep my eyes open for Crawl's upcoming releases. 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment